- // Market Your Website
- // Social Media
- // SEO: How to Improve Search Engine Rankings Using Your LinkedIn Profile
SEO: How to Improve Search Engine Rankings Using Your LinkedIn Profile
LinkedIn is still widely used by job seekers, but also by those looking to hire a company based upon their profile, summaries and answers to questions. As such, LinkedIn is becoming popular as a social media marketing networking tool.
The creation of groups, iPhone applications and slide shares has really changed the way that people interact on LinkedIn. Optimizing your LinkedIn profile not only helps prospects find you on LinkedIN, but also improves search engine optimization for both your company website and your name.
Here are 8 tips for optimizing your LinkedIN profile:
- Complete & Public Profile. Take time to complete your profile, including a photo and a headline as to what you do/have to offer. To determine which parts of your profile you wish to be public, click on Account & Settings, Public Profile and a check box list appears. The more you share the better.
Let us get to know you.
- Vanity URL. If you have not done so yet, claim your name. Note: LinkedIn does not allow for dashes or hyphens.
- Summary & Job Title Keywords. Add some of your keywords to your summary. This allows you to be found when someone is searching on LinkedIn for your keywords. Don't just cram in tons of keywords, make them fit the narrative.
- Create a Company Page. Company pages seem to have more value for a job seeker checking out your company than it does for the company itself. Nonetheless, a company page is another snapshot of the company and another way to get your company recognized.
- Name Your Websites. Customize the "My Website," "My Company," and "My Blog" defaults with your company name, website or blog. This is simple to do: on your profile, click websites, then use the drop down and select "Other" and type in name and descriptive terms.
- Join Groups. LinkedIn groups provide discussions and news feeds for some great blog articles. Whether you are looking to start a discussion, promote your blog, or find some really good blogs to comment on, groups are the way to go. To find a group, use the main LinkedIN search bar (select "Groups" from the drop-down), and type in what you are looking for (i.e., social media). P.S. Groups are also a great way to invite people to connect as you can send an invite without having their email address.
- Ask/Answer Questions. Need a question answered in more than 140 characters (ala Twitter)? LinkedIn questions gives you that platform! Looking to reach out and help others? Search questions and provide answers. Who knows, you just might be selected as best answer.
- Promote Your Profile. Add a widget to your blog, website or your business card. Just remember, getting LinkedIN connections is not just a numbers game. Connecting with people not only helps you build relationships within your field, it is also a great tool should you find yourself in need of a new position.
LinkedIn does improve search engine rankings for your name and your company profile. Some people do not always remember the company, but may remember your name. So a search for your name would have high rankings for LinkedIn...unless of course you have a very popular name.
Suzanne Vara is Managing Director of Kherize5 Advertising & Marketing, an interactive marketing agency specializing in small business social media, website development and search engine optimization. Her blog is www.kherize5.com/blog.
Article Source: Kherize5 Blog